Family Birth Center
Women's Memorial Hermann at Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center is an extraordinary facility designed to serve the unique health care needs of women and babies in a caring, compassionate environment.
The birth of your baby represents the birth of a family as well. Your choice of where to deliver your baby is an important one. At the Family Birth Center, we recognize this is an exciting time with great expectations and many questions. We recognize the importance of the new relationships and responsibilities that come with having a child and adding to your growing family.
The quality of your childbirth experience matters to us. Our top priority is the safety and wellbeing of mom and baby. That is why we have put numerous mechanisms in place to ensure our patients receive the very best care. In addition to our Family Birth Center (FBC) and Level III Neonatal ICU, we also offer in-house, affiliated OB/GYN and Pediatric physician (hospitalist) coverage in preparation for any possibility. Our ultimate goal is to obtain the best possible, healthy outcomes for all members of the family.
Our Philosophy of Care
- Family memories begin here.
- Women's health care needs are unique and change throughout her lifetime.
- Family-centered care is the focus of our philosophy.
- By educating our patients, and ourselves, we promote women's health and wellness.
- Personalized care meets the unique cultural, spiritual, emotional and physical needs of the mother, infant and family.
- Competent and compassionate health care team members support the family by:
- Recognizing birth to be a unique, individualized, natural process
- Recognizing that open communication between health care team members is critical
- Committing to assist, counsel and care for expectant mothers, fathers and their families and to share with them the wonder of the birthing process
- Providing a professional team of nurses who have continuous accountability for the family from admission to discharge, through labor, delivery and the postpartum recovery of the family
- Women and their families need special and skillful encouragement throughout their whole life.
- We are dedicated to the highest standards of moral, ethical and professional conduct.
Birthing Options Personalized for You
To help make your childbirth experience as comfortable as possible, the FBC offers a full range of pain management options. Our healing environment features a spa-like environment with hydrotherapy spas and a spacious Family Lounge with dining area. 24-hour epidural anesthesia is also available.
Mother-Baby Care & Single Room Maternity
Through Mother-Baby care, you and your baby will be cared for by the same nurse in the comfort and convenience of your own room. Our top-notch nursing staff is NRP (neonatal resuscitation provider)-certified and provide personalized care for your baby at your bedside. Mother-Baby nursing promotes bonding and attachment between mother and baby by offering the education and support your family needs to welcome the new baby into your lives and routines. As a result, baby is happy, and you, the new family, leave the hospital more confident in your parenting and infant care skills.
Following an uncomplicated pregnancy, your LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum) birthing suite becomes a private room designed to provide a nurturing and supportive environment for you, your baby and your family. Our single room maternity suites are further complemented by our Infant Security System for your added protection and safety.
Bonding During The Golden Hour
Sharing the first hour of your baby's life will create memories that last a lifetime. The best place for your baby to be for this first hour is in your arms, close to your heart! These precious moments are truly “The Golden Hour.” As you gaze into each other's eyes, hold, touch and talk to your new baby, your heart will fill with love and joy as you experience a beautiful beginning of this lifelong bond.
In the event that you have a high-risk pregnancy and need to be hospitalized for an extended period of time, we also provide specialized high-risk antepartum care. The staff of this 12-bed unit care for your medical, emotion and spiritual needs, give you peace of mind, and support you through any unexpected turn of events. They also help prepare you for the upcoming delivery of your child, so that you and your baby will achieve a healthy outcome.
OB Emergency Department (OBED)
The OB Emergency Department is located at the front of the FBC, where registration and pre-registration take place. The affiliated OB/GYN hospitalists - fully selected and approved by the OB Hospitalist Group in collaboration with Women's Memorial Hermann - provide an added measure of care in our OBED to support and back up our affiliated OB/GYN staff. No one knows more about you and your baby than your own doctor - you should always check with him or her first, before seeking care at a hospital.
In the event your physician needs assistance or backup, one of the OB/GYN hospitalists can examine you, evaluate the progress of your labor, monitor the baby's heart rate and review test results. These hospitalists are board-certified OB/GYNs, trained in routine and emergent obstetrical care. They are available to care for moms-to-be onsite at our hospital 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If your situation is deemed an emergency, rest assured, you will receive the necessary and appropriate care. Affiliated OB/GYN hospitalists will coordinate your care and communicate all results to your regular OB/GYN to ensure the best possible outcomes for you and your baby.
If you are experiencing a true emergency, please call 9-1-1 and go to the nearest emergency center.
Be Prepared with Pre-Registration
Pre-registration for childbirth is one of the best ways to prepare to welcome your newest family addition.
When visiting the hospital for appointments, scheduled tests or delivery, please bring your insurance card and identification.
Before 28 weeks of pregnancy, use our Online Pre-Registration Tool.
Once you have pre-registered using our online tool, you should also complete the following by the seventh month of pregnancy:
- Complete and sign Consent Forms in person in the Business Office.
- Be sure to discuss your childbirth and anesthesia options with your doctor well before delivery.
- Are you scheduled for a C-section? Then, you must have your lab work done prior to your procedure. The pre-admission lab is located on the first floor, please check in at the registration desk in the Pinecroft Lobby at our entrance off Pinecroft Drive. For questions, please call (713) 897-5780.
For more detailed information as well as printable forms and related information on birth certificates, please view Childbirth & Registration page.
Bella Baby Photography
Bella Baby is the face of hospital baby portraiture, bringing experienced, professional photographers into the hospital to capture your baby's first photograph with a natural, artistic style. Bella Baby believes that babies look the most beautiful when being held in their parents' arms or cuddled in one of their own baby blankets. Bella Baby captures this beauty by using only "real things"...natural window light, professional photographers and professional grade SLR digital cameras.
Learn More About Postpartum Care
To help you be better prepared for what to expect, Women's Memorial Hermann offers you a free booklet via download of A New Beginning, Your Personal Guide to Postpartum Care available anytime throughout your pregnancy or after. This booklet will help you understand how to care for yourself and your baby after birth. The more knowledge you have, the more likely you will approach your personal journey with confidence and a positive perspective. Topics include:
- Caring for Yourself Postpartum
- Changes After Birth
- Feeding Your Newborn
- Caring for Your Newborn
- Immunization Schedule
- Safe Sleeping Environment
Postpartum Depression/Mood Disorders Resources