What to Expect Before Your Stay
Pre-registering allows you to complete all the required paperwork before your delivery date. To make the process as smooth as possible, we ask that you pre-register online. Or if it is more convenient, simply call 713-222-CARE to pre-register by phone. You will need your insurance card handy when you call. Pre-register now.
What to bring with you to the hospital
Be prepared! Pack your things in a bag and keep it aside several weeks prior to your due date. That way, when you start to go into labor, you or your partner can grab the bag and take it with you to the hospital.
Mom’s checklist for labor and delivery:
- Pillow with a non-white pillowcase
- Portable music or video player
- Lip balm
- Hard candy
- Games, cards, books, magazines, etc.
- Pen and paper
- Baby book
- Massager or tennis ball in a sock
- Bathrobe, nightgown, slippers and a couple of pairs of socks
- Nursing bra, breast pads, nipple cream, sanitary napkins and maternity underwear
- Bathroom items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, hairbrush, soap, lip balm, towels and deodorant
- A comfortable going-home outfit and shoes
Hospital checklist for your labor partner:
- Pillow and blanket
- Change of comfortable clothes
- Camera, camcorder, batteries, memory card, etc.
- Basic bathroom items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shampoo and towels
- Infant car seat
- 2 onesies, newborn hat, socks and mittens
- Burp cloth
- 2 receiving blankets
- Going-home outfit and jacket if the weather is cold.
- Newborn-size diapers, wipes, changing pad and diaper bag
- Baby bottles, nipples and formula if you are bottle-feeding
- Birth plan
- Insurance cards, checkbook and credit cards
- Address book with phone numbers
- Hospital pre-registration paperwork, hospital address and phone number